What We Do
Since 1989 Foster Family Service has been certifying foster families to care for
children in need of a safe, nurturing home. In our 21 year history we have placed
thousands of children in to both foster and adoptive homes. We serve nearly half
of California’s 58 counties, largely through the Central and Northern portions of
- Our program is designed to provide quality foster and adoptive services for children
who must live apart from their biological family.
- We accept children for placement through both short- and long-term care, who through
no fault of their own, cannot safely live at home.
- The children in placement with our agency are age 0-18 years, most with a history
of abuse, neglect and/or behavioral challenges. Some, however, are not victims of
abuse, but have developmental disabilities that exceed their biological family’s
- Our staff is master-degree trained, experienced and prepared to provide support
and interventions 24/7.
- Each child referred to us for placement is evaluated based on all information available
to us, so that the most appropriate match with one of our certified homes can be
- Through a combination of caring parents, well-trained and motivated social workers,
and a network of community resources, we strive to see every child in our care return
home or emancipate in a healthier conditions then when they came to us.
We pride ourselves on having the most highly-qualified team of staff and families,
dedicated to meeting the needs of special children. We offer monthly parenting training
at no cost to our families. Most importantly, we are seeking loving families interested
in opening their homes to foster children. With an estimated 71,000 children needing
foster care—up to 20% of these needing a permanent, adoptive home—the need has never
The counties we routinely work with include:
Alameda, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Contra Costa, El Dorado, Los Angeles, Mono, Napa,
Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sonoma, Solano and Yolo.